Tom’s girlfriend, Nicole, made a delicious, light and healthy black bean and barley salad while we were in Boston. We liked it so much that we asked her for the recipe to try in Kokoi’s galley. Today, I had some extra time on my hands and I was craving this salad, so I made it to have as a side for dinner tonight. The recipe is easy and so fresh.
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 (15-ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved (I diced two whole tomatoes instead)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper (Left this out because I’m not the biggest fan of green bell pepper)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeano peppers, cut into 1/4 inch cubes (Substituted this with feta cheese)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup of fresh cilantro
- Cook the barley according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain the barley in a colander and rinse with cold water until completely cooled.
- Combine the black beans and next 6 ingredients in a bowl. Add the barley to the black bean mixture or vice versa and toss gently.