After a wild trip in Colombia we flew back to Miami for a few days to regroup and get our stuff put together.  No sooner than getting off the plane did I begin to feel sick, really sick.  I let it go to the way side and partied on for a couple days with friends. Really stupid idea.  Next thing I know I find myself in bed for two days with a pounding head and a chest about to explode.  The time was clicking down before we had to get on a plane back to Trinidad and I was doing everything I could to feel better.  Kristen pulled through and took care of all our loose ends and next thing I know we are being dropped off at the Miami airport to hop a flight back to the boat.

We landed in Trinidad with a couple hundred pounds of luggage and try to make our way back to the boat.  Most people would think catch a cab and pooff you are back at the boat.  I’m to cheap for this and decide the bus is the way to go.  I still feel like hell and we are lugging around 100 lbs between us to catch a bus.  After two different rides and 3 hours later we arrive back at KoKoi!  She is still there, this is a really good thing.  We go inside and the entire boat has mold on all of the woodwork.  I am dead tired and can’t handle it any longer.  I hop in bed and Kristen gets to cleaning the mold off the walls in our bedroom so we can at least sleep in comfort.

Let’s move ahead to a couple days later.  I’m feeling better, not much but a little bit.  I’ve been working on and off on the boat in 15 minute spurts.  The boat is slowly getting back to all her glory.  The entire inside needed to be cleaned, every single inch.  The anchor chain was rusted and Kristen ended up spending hours hammering every chain link to clean it up.  The anchor and chain went back on board, the fluids in the engine were checked, the transom was resealed, decks were all washed, new isinglass windows were made, the sail was resewn, provisioning happened here and there, propane tanks filled, water tanks filled, and the list goes on.  

If you don’t know about living on the hard, IT SUCKS!  We got the boat to the point where we could splash and get out of there.  Finally in the water we motored over to Scotland Bay to put the sails back on board, polish stainless, clean all the lockers, oil wood, rebuild the head (toilet), blah blah blah. I didn’t care how many hours a day I had to work I was just so happy to jump off the back of the boat into clear water for a swim every afternoon.

Finally we got all our projects wrapped up enough to where we could do the 85 mile sail over to Grenada. Trinidad was fun, but being in Grenada is an entirely different world.  In Trinidad we were on a mooring in Chagurramas which is a commercial anchorage for the oil industry.  Dirty, rolly, loud, and uncomfortable.  We are now anchored on the South coast of Grenada in Secret Harbour.  I’m pretty sure the name says it all.  

The true exploring has yet to start.  Daily we find ourselves working on the long list of projects that still need to be done on the boat.  Occasionally napping and in the evenings joining friends for some beers.

We have friends flying in from Australia as I type this and should be arriving tomorrow evening.  We look forward to having our first new crew of the season as we slowly sail with them up to St Lucia over the next couple of weeks.  


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s